Thyroid problems are a huge cause for concern overall, but there’s one thing people are not as willing to talk about – these problems can ruin your sex life. Both for men and women. Men, of course, suffer from one of the most prevalent and least talked about conditions in the world: erectile dysfunction. Recent studies suggest that a huge number of people might suffer from an undiagnosed thyroid condition, namely hypothyroidism – an underactive thyroid.
Even though there are many of them, let’s go over the most common symptoms.
- Lowered libido. This one is self-explanatory, you have less interest in sex than you had before.
- Difficulties staying aroused. People are interested in sex, their libido might not be lowered, but they don’t get/stay aroused, even if they use supplements (i.e. Viagra).
- Orgasm difficulties. Inability to reach it.
- Painful sensations. During, after or before the encounter itself.
- Avoidance. This unhealthy pattern is one of the tell-tale signs, as well – people with thyroid issues are actively trying to avoid sexual encounters.
Obviously, you have to go to be careful with self-diagnosing and self-medication. However, if two or more of the above apply to you, it might be wise to check your testosterone levels. Both males and females with unusually low testosterone levels can benefit from some popular supplements, namely sildenafil, vardenafil and generic tadalafil. However, you should be mindful of the fact that your sexual issues might be psychological. No need to run to your doctor and ask for pills right off the bat. You should undergo a complete medical evaluation before you ask for/do anything.
Oftentimes, even medical and lifestyle changes don’t resolve the issue completely, that’s where you have to resort to therapy. This way you can be sure your sexual issues are resolved entirely. There are many ways you can approach this. Traditional psychology can pinpoint the roots of the problem, it can improve your overall psyche and self-esteem. There are, obviously, some psychologists and psychiatrists that specialize in couples. Most important of all: don’t lose confidence and don’t ever lose hope. You will get through it with a right kind of help.